Monday, October 12, 2009

More than just faces.

More than just faces: Companions from Bread of Life.
This is the title of an exhibition I am going to have for the paintings I'm currently working on. The body of work features portraits of people who go to a free breakfast that my church runs every Sunday morning. The people who come generally make up a part of the poorer and marginalised residents of the area, and so this project of painting a number of them looks at both presenting them as humans - valuable, precious and dearly loved (certainly by those who serve them) - and also as a fundraiser for the free breakfast, with any funds raised from the sale of works being donated to this. Over my time going to the church and volunteering at the breakfast I have been honoured to come to know a few of the 'companions' (name used for the attendees), and seeing the enthusiasm of some of them for this project has been a real joy and encouragement for me.
My church is St Michael's Anglican, in Surry Hills, and the exhibition will take place in their hall, where the breakfast is held, at 196 Albion St. As the hall may be rented out during the week to another group, unfortunately this exhibition will be a two-day show, with the opening night being on Saturday the 28th of November from 5-8.30pm, and the works being also available for viewing the following Saturday, 5th of December, between 10am-4pm. 
As I am also finishing the painting part of my Fine Arts/Arts degree this year, two or three of the companion's portraits will also be exhibited in the COFA annual, which runs from Tuesday the 24th of November through to Sunday the 29th, opening hours 11am-6pm each day, and the opening night on Tuesday being 6-9pm. Do check it out! 



Davina:together we can make a difference


Shall I put my hood on?


No comments:

Post a Comment